Don and Rita (Klein) Gruhlke along with her dad and uncle, Clarwin and Gerald Klein, opened the course in August of 1979. It was built on a farm that the Klein brothers purchased in 1952. The original course was a 9 hole par 36 layout measuring just over 3100 yards designed by Dr. Gordon Emerson of Spring Valley, Wisconsin. Subsequently Don and Rita acquired sole possession of the course and an adjacent parcel which has been in the Klein family since 1856. In 1999 they, along with their two sons, Kyle and Matt, began construction to expand to 18 holes. The expansion, a Dr. Emerson design, required building 10 new holes and lengthening an existing hole. At the same time a new irrigation system was installed on the entire course. The resulting 18 hole course is a par 70 layout measuring over 6100 yards. The design of the course utilizes the natural resources of the terrain and every effort was made to leave the surrounding areas in their native state.